Search This Blog

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Movie Review: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo



The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or more aptly, to use its original Swedish name, Män Som Hatar Kvinnor (Men Who Hate Women) is a dark and at times disturbing film, (I use 'film' rather than 'movie' intentionally here) although to say this is not to detract in any way from the magnificent movie that it is. As the opening credits began to roll, myself and my little brother soon realised that this film is subtitled. My stomach plummeted and I began to dread paying to see it - how wrong was I. It took but a very short time to overcome the subtitles and settle into what is a well-scripted and brilliantly acted film. 
I intentionally refer to it as a 'film' as opposed to the Hollywood title 'movie' as this film is deserving of the distinction. It is not in any way related to the soft, mollycoddled movies which drip continuously from the US.


Some of the scenes brought home the vileness of human life, showing how individuals have the capacity to bring others to the brink of self-destruction.The story was played to perfection. The 18's tag is necessary as I personally wouldn't want to see even young teens viewing certain scenes. But the tag also insured that the scenes were not dampened down, or worse, left on the editing room floor. And to be honest, these scenes help to make the film the masterpiece it truly is.
It was also a joy to watch a film which stripped away all the Hollywood nonsense we have all come to expect and loathe. Michael Nyqvist and Noomi Rapace remind the viewer of what real acting is all about. Apart from the refreshing aspect which is offered by both Nyqvist's and Rapace's excellent acting, the lack of OTT make-up and airbrushed effects reminds us that to be a great actor and to make a great film does not require a band of over-hyped Barbie-and-Ken-like 'actors'.  
It is obvious to say that the film was made in Sweden which in itself is a relief to the system. It was nice to sit and see somewhere different - the views were spectacular and I came to realise that Sweden is not always and everywhere covered in snow!!! 


The film is a masterpiece due not only to the great acting, directing and de-Hollywoodisation, but the fact that this film is in Swedish also adds to the effect. It is a great film and a must-see. I would highly recommend it - I look forward to the sequel!!

11 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to watch it. Your review was great!

    -Vivian
    (newbatteri, from Swap-Bot)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi – My name is Ellen and I’m following your blog through swap-bot. Hope you’ll follow back. My info: scentednights2002

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice review! peaked my interest! swap-bot, betterthannaked

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi, kelley . the box at the side is not a comment box but rather a box to ask questions from formspring.me. it was rather cute to receive comments from there though =] i think i'll have to download it because i live in Singapore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might be able to get this film from swap bot. As I am a very fast reader, subtitles are easy for me to read. Just watched an excellent French film, Summer Hours. You might like it! Following you from swap bot. Thank you for enlarging my world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great review!

    now, I have it in my list of "to-watch" films/ or movies..:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to Swap-bot! I love how you did your "about me" section!!

    iLoveMail from Swap-bot now following...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good review, looks like a good movie!

    I'm RyuLuna on Swap-bot, and I'm following you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I rented last night and my hubby dread it (he doesn't like to read subs either!) but he was pleasantly surprised of what a great it was.

    It was like a breath of fresh air between all these disasters and/or too much animation (I like cartoon, but hey I need a break from it, man) Toy Story 3, Eclipse, Last Airbender (have LOTS of nephews and nieces... And lost the wager with my brothers and sisters).

    I can barely wait for the sequel, this summer. I console myself reading the books.

    ReplyDelete