Search This Blog

Saturday, February 20, 2010

The First Cut is the Deepest..!

Well they say the first cut is the deepest, and in the case of my poor garden, 'tis true. After three torturous months of staring out the window, agonising over the state of my beloved garden, I finally plucked up the gumption to go out there and scut the living daylights out of that darned grass.
Okay, so technically it was procrastination - as is this post, I might add - I have two essays for uni to be cracking on with, not to mention the three assignments for bloody Economics (don't get me started!)
But sure, the grass has been torturing me since before Christmas. I knew back in October that I should have just pulled myself up off my tush and cut it then, but hey - I procrastinate! That's what I do, and looky here, don't I do a great job of it too. I am one of the few people who can actually use what appears to be real work as an excuse not to do real work - 'tis an art form I tell you!

So this morning the sun twinkled through the rising fog, calling to my chakras, begging for me to come out and play. So being the sensible Mom that I am, I decided to get all the momsy stuff out of the way first.
I hit B&Q (my all-time favourite place in the world, next to Cyprus of course) bought some more birdy feeders (now I have 9 - did I mention my garden is only fractionally bigger than a postage stamp?) and headed to Tesco for the real momsy job of picking up a week's supply of food (don't laugh Mona!) A trip to Woodies came next, sure who can visit only one garden centre without checking out the competition?? Picked up some more strawberries (have three down the garden - and nope, like the birdy feeders I really don't need anymore!) and then I headed home.

By this stage the spring was running through me like heroin through the veins of a junkie when they mainline!! I had to get out, my chest was constricted with the utter craving from the soul for the touch, the scent, the sheer living of the garden. And so I gleefully, almost manically so, dragged the strimmer out of the shed and merrily I danced to the tune of "Die grass, die!".
Okay, I love my garden, but I detest grass with a vengence - the shagging stuff just keeps growing. It's almost manic in its obsession!

And so I scut it to within an inch of its life. I say scut, because this was no cut!! If it wasn't for grass, my garden would always look pretty and flowerful and clean - my God, but long grass really makes for a shaggy looking 'mare of a garden!

But trust me, I felt so alive after it. I came in and drank a very refreshing cup of tea (thank you Brita kettle!). One hot shower later, I cooked up a weeks supply of pasta for my darling son - then had spaghetti on toast for lunch (heehee!), before finally pulling out my books to start on my history essay.

Thank God Mom rang me about five minutes later!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh to see flowers again- we are buried in snow!

    Found you on Living in Style community.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a procrastinator too. Is there a cure for it or should I just embrace it and and move on with my life?
    Thanks for the follow. I am now following you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well if there is a cure, I have yet to find it, but if I ever do I'll bottle it and send you some!! Lol, thanks for the follow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we procrastinated too much and missed the lecture at college this week about 'Overcoming Procrastination' . . . speaking of which, I am fully engaged in my weekly dose of procrastination as I would rather blogcrawl than write my assignment due tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good God woman I think you might be right - well that is just the cherry on the procrastination cake (which I must cook!!) Look at me, I have a 2,000 word essay to tackle and am having more fun on here too!!
    See you tomorrow for walkies!

    ReplyDelete